Song: A Pillow Of Winds
Group: Pink Floyd
I was just a few seconds down my mountain ridge here.
The sun was just rising as I continued on to a country cafe
located about 30 minutes Northwest of me.
As they opened at 6 AM...
and as I had a craving for gravy over biscuits...
I headed there as I practiced my singing on the road.
The temperature was in the low 50s F...
and so, the cool breeze in the car as I drove with the windows down...
just felt so invigorating and refreshing.
I sang to the above song as David Gilmore's vocal range and style of singing
is what allows me to improve my voice.
Of course...
I know I will never approach his vocal quality...
but, as he sings with an open throat and with loose vocal cords...
the more I try to emulate his voice...
the more I improve.
The sun began to rise as I was headed to the cafe.
I had been to this cafe once before...
as it is located right near Lake George...
and some country roads which are very peaceful on which to drive.
I had ordered biscuits smothered in country gravy...
two eggs over medium...
and some country style potatoes.
I also got one of my favorite drinks...
a Chai Latte over ice.
As I was feeling good after my meal...
I turned off onto a country road leading to a lake
as I continued with my vocal practice.
It was a mellow morning as I drove...
and the main song I had practiced with was the above song
(A Pillow of Winds)...
as I played it over and over...
while sometimes switching to Comfortably Numb...
also by Pink Floyd with David Gilmore being the lead vocal.
Although my voice has actually improved some...
it is not saying much...
as I am pretty trash as a vocalist.
And...
although I know I will never be a really good singer...
even a small improvement in my abilities makes me very happy.
I have two main problems vocally...
one...
staying in tune.
The other...
is in staying in a completely relaxed state...
by keeping my throat and vocal cords loose and open as I sing...
so as to not only make it easier to stay in tune...
but to create much more resonance.
There are certain songs
which are primarily in my vocal range...
and which are mellow enough for me to practice
a much more relaxed and open throat style of singing...
which in turn...
allows singing from the diaphragm.
It is this combination which gives richness to the voice...
and is what I am trying to achieve.
But...
again...
even the smallest of improvements makes it all worthwhile.
As I continued driving...
I got more and more mellow.
This allowed me to relax even more...
which in turn...
allowed me to stabilize my voice more easily...
and to stay pretty much in tune...
at least...
for this session.
I was just a short ways from home here.
In total...
I had practiced for approximately two hours.
It was a productive session...
and I greatly enjoyed my country drive as well.
It is those little zen victories in life which just keep us going
(conquering of the self).
My tone is now deeper and slightly richer...
and hopefully...
my small improvements will keep building...
one upon another.
-----------
I always have a good time driving in the country.
It is the freedom of the road which just makes me want to burst out in song... :)
as the fresh air blows through my hair...
and cools my face.
But...
as I had awakened way too early...
I am getting sleepy...
and so...
I am going to take a nap...
of which is another of life's little simple pleasures.






















Sounds like you had a great morning!
ReplyDeleteIt was just one of those mornings where everything just fell into place...and where I just rolled with it. It was thoroughly enjoyable.
ReplyDelete