Wednesday, July 29, 2026

Rocky Mountain Reds

 


Song:  Theft and Wandering Around Lost

Group:  Cocteau Twins

Rocky Mountain Reds...
is my name for my favorite general homemade pickle.

These have a balanced amount of...
tang...
sweetness...
and heat...
 all in a crunchy and healthful turnip pickle.



I had about twice the amount needed...
but as I eat the pickles...
I can just add more turnips.

I first put them into a mixing bowl in preparation to give them an initial scrub down.


I use a veggie dedicated nylon pot scrubber to ensure 
any residue is scrubbed off all of my veggies.


I then set them aside on the veggie cutting board.


I use a half gallon sized hermetically sealable Mason Jar for my pickles.

The below ingredients are used to make these pickles.


Only use the coarse ground Korean chili pepper powder
(available in most Asian Markets).


Memmi is also found in almost all Asian Markets.


Sugar


White Vinegar


I just fill the jar to just under half full with the white vinegar...
and I then dissolve sugar into it...
about 2-3 cups worth...
adding about 1/2 cup at a time as I then taste after each addition.

You want the astringent nature of the vinegar to be mellowed by the sugar...
but you don't want it too sweet.



Memmi adds a soy sauce taste.

Just add until it reaches your taste preference...
but the pickles are supposed to taste a bit salty...
and it is the Memmi that accomplishes this.


The coarse red peppers are supposed to totally coat every piece
of turnip in the jar.

You will end up using 2-4 cups of it.

Just add one cup at a time and stir until the peppers sink.


I just cut the turnips into semi circles...
and in varying thicknesses...


...and then add them to the jar...
being sure I submerge them completely after each addition.



You can see the amount of pepper I added to ensure complete coverage of the turnips.

You will generally want to wait a week or so for the turnips to pickle enough...
but...
at anytime...
they may be eaten.

These Rocky Mountain Reds are a perfect accompanying pickle for almost any dish...
but goes especially well with red meat dishes...
or noodle dishes common throughout Asia.

_______

After making the pickles...
I then began preparing a large roast
for cooking in the oven
(380 F - 1.5 hours usually).


The only things I use for my roasts:

Olive Oil

Salt 

Black Pepper


I first completely coat the bottom of the roast with the olive oil...
and heavily salt and pepper each side...
and then turn it over and repeat the process.



I want a thick layer of black pepper especially...
as it adds so much to the flavor of the beef once cooked.


I will be using this roast for several of my following meals...
including:

Beef Udon

Beef Ramen

Beef Yakisoba


-------------

I didn't use exact amounts of ingredients for my recipe...
as we each have differing tastes.

Just be sure you add a little at a time...
and then stir and taste.

Once you put in too much of an ingredient...
it is very difficult to correct afterwards.

----------

This is a must try homemade pickle...
as it is inexpensive and easy to make...
but, most of all...
it is tremendously delicious.



4 comments:

  1. I like your cooking blogs. It will be there when I finally get around to trying it. I love Japanese pickles. Most Asian stores do not have the Japanese style. Mostly Korean (which is good too) but I grew up on Japanese version. Mom always made her own fresh

    ReplyDelete
  2. These are my favorite pickles. They are so easy to make, last a long time, and just go well with almost anything.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I don't know if I've ever eaten turnips... Do the Rocky Mountain Reds kind of taste like kimchi?

    ReplyDelete
  4. No, there is no garlic. But, the red peppers give the full red pepper flavor of Kimchi but with a Memmi taste.

    ReplyDelete

Home Theater Sofa Arrived / Orange Mist Sunset

  Song:  A Fight For Our Motherland (From The Film: Musa) Although the sofa had arrived yesterday evening... I decided to wait until today t...