Monday, September 28, 2026

A Kid At Christmas - Nikon Z 7 II Arrived

 


Song:  O Fortuna

Orchestra:  Gothenburg Symphony Orchestra



The day has arrived.

A FedEx truck arrived at our home at about 10:30 AM this morning.

I signed for the two packages...
and immediately began opening them.


The Nikon Z 7 II...
the only camera I will ever need for all for the rest of my life
(except for rough use (triking)...
where I will use my Canon G3 X).





I will take off the protective back screen film once I receive a screen protector for it.


A premium camera and lens.


As this lens is exceptionally sharp...
and is a wide angle to zoom in one lens (24mm - 120mm)...
I will never need another lens...
even in cases where I would like a super zoom...
since the camera has enough resolution and light gathering capability...
I can crop in and magnify further images inside any photos taken...
if necessary...
 on the computer.

I certainly wouldn't want to carry around a larger lens anyway.

But...
the necessity of super zooming will be a rare event...
and I never process my images beyond that.


Both...
the camera and lens...
 are weather hardened.




The lens in its wide angle configuration (fully retracted).


The lens in its fully zoomed configuration (fully extended)...
and being a zoom lens...
it may be used anywhere in between...
to achieve just the right amount of zoom for the shot.


It came with a lens sun hood...
which I will keep on.



I had already ordered a chest harness to keep the camera attached to my body...
without the need to hold it...
while keeping it readily usable.


It came with a dust cloth as well.


My Canon G 3X on the left.

I had bought this years ago...
and had originally thought it would be the only camera I would need...
but as it is a bridge camera (the lens cannot be removed)...
and as it has a 1" sensor (one of the smallest)...
its inability to gather enough light in low light conditions...
and its inability to give crisp photos...
only became apparent later.

But...
it has a super zoom (24 to 600mm equivalent - with built in crop factor)...
besides also being weather hardened...
which makes it useful for when I trike.

Although the Nikon is also weather hardened...
it will be my everyday camera in all other cases
(although I will just use my iPhone to capture food shots at restaurants).
As the sensor is a full frame (35mm) 46 mega pixel...
with a dual processor and motion dampener...
it is an ultra resolution beast.

Also...
it has a high resolution viewfinder
(of which the Canon G3 X does not...
which makes it extremely to difficult to use in bright lighting conditions).

The lens has the range of zoom I will use almost exclusively...
and again...
since the images produced will be of such high resolution and clarity...
I could easily crop in post production...
thereby expanding the desired cropped image as if I had used a super zoom...
and the images produced will allow for spectacular enlargements as well.

With the Nikon...
I will be able to intuitively shoot on the fly...
with a very quick camera reset and auto focus...
so I can grab photo opportunities as they present themselves.

Also...
the Nikon color palette and image processing...
as well as the exquisite clarity of the lens...
is top tier.

No more will I miss out on once in a lifetime shots...
or have an inability to shoot low light shots...
 especially since my wife and I will soon be embarking upon journeys 
which will take us around the world...
with unique and fantastic views...
in a variety of light conditions...
and of which I wish to capture in the finest detail...even in low light...
and in the truest and richest colors that present themselves in real life...
and yet...
so many lower tier cameras are simply unable to match.

-----------

Yes...
it was just as you had imagined.

I was like a toddler opening his presents...
on Christmas morning.

-----------

So...
how did I swing getting such an expensive item for myself?

Why...
I just did what any self respecting man does.
I just stood in front of my wife...
looked her straight in the eyes and...
began jumping up and down like a toddler while repeating over and over...
"I want...I want...I want"  :)


No...
in truth...
my wife and I allot ourselves a certain amount of spending money each month.

We may use that amount saved...
or borrowed from the future...
to buy whatever we wish for ourselves...
no questions asked...
no permission needed.

This is how adults operate.

It is not that my wife and I don't have our arguments...
but about money...
and by design...
we don't.

(especially since both of us are Ants...
and we fully agree on our short and long term investment strategies).


---------




I was going to walk around the property and take photos with my new camera...
but...
not only is it drizzly today
(we are expecting three days of rain)...
but I still must order a protective clear glass filter to put on my lens...
and a screen protector...
before I take my camera out.

------

Oh well...
nothing can rain upon my soul on this day.

I am happy happy happy  :)

Besides...
there is much I need to learn about this camera...
especially in how to configure the presets.

In the meantime...
there are more camera accessories to order!







Orchestra

No comments:

Post a Comment

A Kid At Christmas - Nikon Z 7 II Arrived

  Song:  O Fortuna Orchestra:  Gothenburg Symphony Orchestra The day has arrived. A FedEx truck arrived at our home at about 10:30 AM this m...