Wednesday, August 5, 2026

A Boneheaded Situation

 


Song:  Mr. Roboto

Group:  Styx


A couple of nights ago...
just as I was going to put up the new blinds in my bedroom...
my wife texted me...
 as we are planning our Japan trip for earlier than we had originally planned.

As she was ready to book our flights...
she asked me for my Passport number...
and it was during my subsequent search in the location where I thought it would be...
that I discovered that it was not there.

So...
for that night...
all the next day
(and part of tomorrow)...
I have been...
desperately searching for my passport.

The sad part is that I had put it with my Birth Certificate...
and since I haven't been able to find either...
I ordered a certified copy of my Birth Certificate online...
as I will need the Birth Certificate to order a replacement passport.

I had searched in my room...
and down in the garage through all of my moving boxes...
twice.

I had gotten so frustrated...
and tired.

So part way through the day...
I decided to go to Cripple Creek to eat something...
before resuming my search.


There was only one other person eating when I was there
(I usually go to restaurants during off hours).


I got a half pound Colorado Green Chili burger...
with a side of this very cheesy mac and cheese.



After eating...
I walked just down the street a short distance to this general store...
where they sold various fudges and ice creams.



I bought a 1/4 pound of Butterscotch Caramel fudge to eat later...


...and a caramel ice cream.

I enjoyed my break...
but I soon went back to my fruitless search.

Those incredibly important documents
I had misplaced during my move here...
and I had only just discovered it.

As we were planning on going to Japan for 3 weeks in Nov - Dec...
to see her relatives...
and to travel to the best places in Japan for their Autumn colors...
I had put our trip in jeopardy.

Luckily...
by submitting my request directly to the county of my birth
(my wife's idea...she is good at researching things online)...
I should have my Birth Certificate within a few weeks.

From there...
I will have to go to a post office to submit paperwork 
for a replacement passport...
which can take a couple of months to receive.

It looks as though I will make it in time to book our flights
for our desired time frame...
but I must not delay a single step in this process.

This is one of my weaknesses in life...
I am...
and always have been...
very forgetful.

That is why I always try to keep myself organized...
but if I get distracted...
even for a moment...
I will lose track of things.

And so...
the blinds will just have to wait until I complete this process...
as going through the moving boxes has worn me out.


I know...
I shouldn't have rewarded myself with a meal and an ice cream
after such a boneheaded situation I had put myself in...
but...
then again...
as I am retired...
I have already earned a little treat in life once in awhile  :)

My wife suggested that she keep all of the important documents from now on...
and I fully agreed.

Although I excel at seeing the big picture...
and planning for the long term...
it is the small details that will sometimes throw me for a loop.

I realize that even a small hole may sink a ship...
and so...
I will have my first mate (wife) handle the smaller details in life...
as this is where she excels.




No comments:

Post a Comment

A Boneheaded Situation

  Song:  Mr. Roboto Group:  Styx A couple of nights ago... just as I was going to put up the new blinds in my bedroom... my wife texted me.....